Tuesday, July 20, 2010

old photos

I love, love love old photos, and up until recently have had what I think is a pretty impressive collection of them. I lucked into a giant suitcase full of snapshots at a flea market a few years ago, and since then have not really been able to justify purchasing more.

14-5.jpg

Aren't they lovely? The whole collection-- at least 600 pictures-- all belonged to the same family. There was a little bit of information about the people in the photos-- not much, but just enough to do a little research. So every year or so, in a desultory sort of way, I would plug the names I had into Google and see what turned up.

Well, I finally got somewhere, and contacted a member of the family. Her sister called me on Friday, and it looks like I'm giving the photos back tomorrow. Of course, I feel like it's the right thing to do-- this is her family history, and I could tell how thrilled she was to learn they hadn't been lost for good. But it *is* a little bit of a wrench, and I'm going to miss them.

68-1.jpg

Here's the fun part, though: when I told my mom about this, she produced a giant trove of family photos I'd never seen before in my life! All these amazing snaps of my grandmother and great-aunt traveling in Europe in the '50s, and a whole album of my great-grandparents in the 1920s. And she asked me if I wanted to scan them, so she could make photobooks for the rest of the family! I totally believe in karma now.

So now I have another amazing heap of old photos to work through, and this time the people in them are related to me!

august 1952, album 3

Of course, since I'm giving up the bulk of my vintage photo collection, I'm totally justified in buying new ones at Big Flea.

No comments:

Post a Comment